History/Historia

The Chino Valley had a special connection  to the Mission at San Gabriel (1771).

It would serve as a stock range for the Mission cattle. In 1890, as the Chino area began to grow, the Claretian Fathers came from San Gabriel to conduct Sunday services. 

The first masses in Chino, before the Church was built, were celebrated in the home of Mr. Lindo, the town jeweler. The first Catholic Church was built in 1903 on the corner of Third and D Street; a small frame building that sat 120 people. at the time, the Our Lady of Guadalupe mission was part of the Diocese of Monterey - Los Angeles. 

In 1908, Bishop Thomas Conaty  purchased a building to hold church services at Central Avenue and D Street in Chino.

In 1912, a church was built with Gothic frame design and large steeple that sat 144 people. It was dedicated by Bishop Conaty on December 15 , 1912 with a solemn High Mass. . The Claretian Fathers continued to serve the mission until 1919. In 1920, Rev.. C.J. Creamer became the first residential priest and presumably, the mission became a full parish.

In 1936, Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish became part of the new Diocese of San Diego.

The new parish was divided in 1947 and the parish of Saint Margaret was begun. 

In 1954, the original church at 3rd and D Street was torn down and a new church was constructed. Most of the labor was done by parishioners along with some skilled Mexican artisans. The women of the parish were very pivotal in helping to raise funds for the construction of this church. Also they provided food for workers, some of which were their husbands or other family members . Some of those family names still appear under the stained glass windows of the church was completed in 1959 and had seating for 600 people. 

The Reverend Richard Ackerman, auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Diego dedicated the new church in 1959, along with Pastor Juan  Saldana.

The parish became part of the Diocese of San Bernardino in the 1978. During its 115 years as a parish, there have been 22 pastors, in addition to the many claretian priests who helped in the early years.

In the 85 years of the parish life there have been several dark events, one of tragedy and one of great inconvenience.

During the mid-1970s,local gang members encroached the the parish ground (there were no fences around  the church grounds) to use drugs in the restrooms and cause fear among the parishioners. The parishioners formed security teams(mostly men) and rotated shifts patrolling the parish grounds. Meanwhile, the parish women provided coffee for the teams. It was during this time that two parishioners were fatally shot while in the patio area. The shots came from across D Street . No one was ever apprehended and it was believed that one of the irritated gang members committed this murder. As a result, Ignacio Bobby Padilla and Manuela Rey Cortez sacrificed their lives for the parish of OLG on May 17th 1978. A memorial stands in the patio to honor their great sacrifice.

Finally, in 2017, parishioners experienced their greatest surprise and inconvenience. Our beloved church was closed down because the church roof rafters were not able to sustain the roof any longer. For 5 months, the parishioners attended mass outdoors, if weather permitted, or in the small parish hall. This event brought the parishioners together as a parish. It renewed the financial commitment to get the roof repaired and encouraged parishioners to volunteer their talents to refurbish all the pews. Our gratitude goes out to the Diocese for the loan to fund the repairs, to all those parishioners and non-parishioners that donated generously that donated generously to help this parish return to worship in this ionic and beautiful church of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Chino.

El Chino Valley tenía una conexión especial con la Misión en San Gabriel (1771). Serviría como un rango de existencias para el ganado de la Misión. En 1890, cuando el área de Chino comenzó a crecer, los Padres Claretianos vinieron de San Gabriel para llevar a cabo los servicios dominicales. Las primeras misas en Chino, antes de que se construyera la Iglesia, se celebraban en la casa del Sr. Lindo, el joyero de la ciudad. La primera iglesia católica fue construida en 1903 en la esquina de Third y D Street; un pequeño edificio de marco que se sentó 120 personas. en ese momento, la misión de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe era parte de la Diócesis de Monterey - Los Ángeles. 

 

En 1908, el Obispo Thomas Conaty compró un edificio para celebrar los servicios de la iglesia en Central Avenue y D Street en Chino. 1. En 1912, se construyó una iglesia con un diseño de marco gótico y un campanario grande con capacidad para 144 personas. Fue dedicado por el Obispo Conaty el 15 de diciembre de 1912 con una gran misa solemne. Los Padres Claretianos continuaron sirviendo a la misión hasta 1919. En 1920, el reverendo C.J. Creamer se convirtió en el primer sacerdote residencial y, presumiblemente, la misión se convirtió en una parroquia completa. 

 

En 1936, la Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe se convirtió en parte de la nueva Diócesis de San Diego. 

 

La nueva parroquia se dividió en 1947 y se comenzó la parroquia de Santa Margarita. 

 

En 1954, la iglesia original en 3rd y D Street se derribó y se construyó una nueva iglesia. La mayor parte del trabajo fue realizado por feligreses junto con algunos artesanos mexicanos hábiles. Las mujeres de la parroquia fueron fundamentales para ayudar a recaudar fondos para la construcción de esta iglesia. También proporcionaron comida para los trabajadores, algunos de los cuales eran sus maridos u otros miembros de la familia. Algunos de los nombres de familia todavía aparecen debajo de las vidrieras de la iglesia que se completaron en 1959 y tenían capacidad para 600 personas. .

 

El reverendo Richard Ackerman, obispo auxiliar de la Diócesis de San Diego, dedicó la nueva iglesia en 1959, junto con el pastor Juan Saldaña.

 

La parroquia se convirtió en parte de la Diócesis de San Bernardino en el 1978. Durante sus 115 años como parroquia, ha habido 22 pastores, además de los muchos sacerdotes claretianos que ayudaron en los primeros años. 

 

En los 85 años de la vida parroquial ha habido varios eventos oscuros, uno de tragedia y otro de grandes inconvenientes.

A mediados de la década de 1970, los miembros de pandillas locales invadieron el terreno de la parroquia (no había vallas alrededor de los terrenos de la iglesia) para usar drogas en los baños y causar miedo entre los feligreses. Los feligreses formaron equipos de seguridad (en su mayoría hombres) y turnos rotados patrullando los terrenos de la parroquia. Mientras tanto, las mujeres de la parroquia proveyeron café para los equipos. Fue durante este tiempo cuando dos feligreses recibieron un disparo mortal mientras se encontraban en el patio. Los disparos llegaron desde D Street. Nadie fue detenido y se creía que uno de los irritados miembros de la pandilla cometió este asesinato. Como resultado, Ignacio Bobby Padilla y Manuela Rey Cortez sacrificaron sus vidas por la parroquia de OLG el 17 de mayo de 1978. Un monumento se encuentra en el patio para honrar su gran sacrificio. 

 

.Finalmente, en 2017, los feligreses experimentaron su mayor sorpresa e inconveniencia. Nuestra querida iglesia fue cerrada porque las vigas del techo de la iglesia ya no podían sostener el techo. Durante 5 meses, los feligreses asistieron a misas al aire libre, si el clima lo permitía, o en el pequeño salón parroquial. Este evento reunió a los feligreses como una parroquia. Renovó el compromiso financiero para reparar el techo y alentó a los feligreses a ofrecer sus talentos para restaurar todos los bancos. Nuestro agradecimiento a la Diócesis por el préstamo para financiar las reparaciones, a todos aquellos feligreses y no feligreses que donaron generosamente que donaron generosamente para ayudar a esta parroquia a regresar a la adoración en esta iónica y hermosa iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe en Chino.

  • YouTube